nafex - Re: [nafex] Triazide questions

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Triazide questions
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:38:52 -0500

On 7/23/2013 4:26 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:
> Don't know about Triazide. Is it as effective as Imidan against
Apple Maggot and Codling Moth? What kind of kickback are
you talking about?<

Should be as affective, as I expect all pyrethroids are similar. Asana
claims to be more weather proof than others because some vegetable oil is
in the formula but a decent sticker should more than compensate for that.
Asana certainly takes care of AM and CM and I'm confident from many
exchanges from other growers that Triazide does also.

I don't put much faith in manufacturer's claims.

I agree that a sticker added to your mix is the same as what
Asana adds in.

I am wary of what some growers claim as far as effectiveness.
Every region has different degrees of infestation, so if one is
only mildly attacked by these bugs, certain pesticides may
do the job. However, in heavy attacks, something stronger
may be necessary. I would like to see a university report on
the effectiveness of these pesticides to be sure the comparisons
are done in a scientific manner.

Another problem with it is a short 2 year shelf life and it's impossible
know how old it is when you purchase it.
> Are you referring to Imidan. I was not aware of any shelf life
>problem with it. I have been using some of it that is several
>years with no degradation of effectiveness.

No, I was talking about Triazide. I'm sure Imidan lasts for years but you
can contact the manufacturer for specifics.

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether or not it really works well
against plum curculio. Does anyone on the list have personal >experience?

Good question.
I believe it works fine on PC because Asana does and because on the Garden
Web fruit and orchards forum many participating fruit growers have been
using it for years with great success on sites where they lose everything
to PC without it. I suspect any controversy is the result of its short
shelf life.
Going from losing everything to something less than that is
not a good choice. Depends on what results one is seeking.
Have these garden sites used Imidan and made comparisons
to the results with Asana?

Pyrethroids work better against stink bugs and other bugs than Imidan and
have a long residual quality even after the poison isn't killing- they are
irritants for a period of time after losing toxicity. They are also more
than adequately affective against PC in home orchard conditions. At least
as good as Imidan against Leps as well.
I was told by someone at U. of Illinois that Imidan does the
best job of coverage of different types of bugs. It does not
work with things like aphids, but using something like Sevin
can handle those pests. Where can I see some documentation
on these irritants you speak of?

Alan, I would like to see more documentation on all these claims
you make before jumping over to this new stuff.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL

Imidan has kick-back by way of penetrating the small tunnels and killing
larva and eggs in the fruit. None of the new pesticides does a real good
job of this, although the neonicinoid Assail is said to have some
kick-back.
message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites: