nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:23:40 -0600

Jerry,

The soil is quite alkaline. I've taken to applying liberal doses of acidifier and there has been a significant improvement in leaf color. Without that, the leaves tend to be pale. Annual rain fall is 8"!! We water every day or every other day. Summer temperatures in the high 90's.

What surprised me this year is that there was NOT a gradual decline in the leaves but rather an almost overnight loss of leaves. Maybe the wind. Maybe bugs. The remaining leaves were battered-looking and chewed up on the edges. The biggest leaves went first and then the few remaining small leaves just withered on the stem. The tree did not respond with a new flush of growth. The stems very quickly became dead-looking, which made me wonder if something had happened to the roots themselves.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days