nafex - Re: [nafex] My plan to move a pawpaw root sucker

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] My plan to move a pawpaw root sucker
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 15:06:12 -0500

betsy,

I have obtained several Paw Paw plants from a friend using this technique
of cutting off root suckers. I did this at various times of the growing season,
so I don't know if it helps to wait for dormancy to take effect. I will say that
of the several plants I took from the mother trees, less than half survived.
I was able to repeat this operation in following years, and now I have about
six Paw Paws growing from this method that are about 3 feet high now.

I think the success rate depends on whether the root sucker has achieved some
type of independence from the mother tree. As far as I know, there is no easy
way to predict this. Repeated attempts finally gave me the result I needed.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL