nafex - [nafex] A Question about Unusual Date Tastes

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] A Question about Unusual Date Tastes
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:22:23 -0400

Folks:

I found the following passage from Pliny the Elder's _Natural History_ (Bk 13, Chap. 9, p. 175, Pliny the Elder, trans.: Bo stock, John; Riley, H. T., Natural History of Pliny, Henry G. Bohn, London (1855). Available online at: http://www.archive.org/stream/naturalhistoryof03plin#page/n5/mode/2up):

In the southern parts of the world, the date known as "syargi" {from
the greek /snagrov/, "wild boar"}, hold the highest rank,... The
same is the case also with the tree that bears the /syagri/. We have
heard a wonderful story too, relative to this last tree, to the
effect that it dies and comes to life again in a similar manner to
the phoenix, which it is generally though has borrowed its name from
the palm-tree, in consequence of this peculiarity; at the moment
that I am writing this, that tree is still bearing fruit. As for the
fruit itself, it is large, hard, and of a rough appearance, and
differing in taste from all other kinds, having a sort of wild
flavour peculiar to itself, and not unlike that of the flesh of the
wild boar; it is evidently this circumstance from which it has
derived its name of "/syagrus/."

Since the interest in dates in the US is generally sugar dates, I found this very interesting. I realize that this particular variety of date may not survive any longer (though, who knows) but I'd appreciate a little background (perhaps a reference book or two) on edible non-sugar dates from one of our date experts. Such a date could be of considerable interest in among the vegetarian community.

Thanks,
Geoffrey Tolle