nafex - Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:17:45 -0400

On Jun 7, 2013, at 3:32 AM, <dwoodard@becon.org> <dwoodard@becon.org> wrote:

Brantley discusses the California stone fruit industry (especially
Japanese plums), the careers
and contributions of Luther Burbank and Floyd Zaiger and others, and
recent developments in Japanese plum hybrids.

He emphasizes the quest for quality as a route to competitive
advantage.

"Quality" means different things to different people.

I suspect that to most of the large-scale "industry" it means ability to ship without bruising, and appearance. To me it means flavor -- not just sweetness, but the specific characteristic flavor of that fruit.