nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 18:22:30 -0400

I got mine from Edible Landscaping 9 years ago. I think it first produced
about 3-4 years ago or maybe earlier than that, but I didn't do my homework
to realize that they aren't really eaten fresh until last year. I do not
have a pollinator for it unless my apricots can do it.
On their website, it looks like they only carry a double flowering pink one
now and it is self-pollinating. I don't think that's the one that I have
though as mine has single petals and it's white, not pink.
Is there something I should be looking for to determine when to pickle
them? How do I know when the right time is?

Thanks!
Mike
A2, MI zone 5b