nafex - [nafex] Growing Sweet Cherries

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Growing Sweet Cherries
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:24:10 -0400

Jerry:

Like you, I planted Bing as my first sweet cherry tree, along with Van, Schmidt's Biggareau, Van, Windsor, and Lambert. This was in the later 70's before I knew NAFEX existed, and before computers came along. So I really didn't look hard enough for advice. If I had, I might have learned that these types of West-Coast, large, crisp cherries are inappropriate for my climate. Over the years, I continued to try one or another new variety (such as Stella), as well as Hedelfingen, Balaton, Black Tartarian, and Stark Gold. Fortunately, I also planted an old, soft, pink blush cherry called Governor Wood, which was pollinated by Gold but did not prevent brown rot on the poorly flavored Gold.

You could probably write a book on the problems of these big crisp cherries in the Eastern U.S., especially the Southeast. Among them are cherry fruit fly, brown rot, cracking and bacterial canker. Canker is the worst, because it eventually kills the tree, and there seems to be nothing to be done about it. Canker can eventually kill tart cherries too, but I grew bushels of tart Montmorency and Northstar before they gave up after close to 25 years.

I had assumed that because the Germans can grow large, crisp cherries well in the humid European climate, I could do so in Northern Virginia. But I failed to factor in the heat. These cherries can stand heat (as in central Washington), and they can also stand humidity, but they do not seem able to stand both of these climate factors simultaneously. If I were to venture a recommendation on a cherry to plant in SE Ohio, it would be one of the earlier, softer types such as Royal Anne/Napoleon, Emperor Francis, or the one I still have, Governor Wood. Two different varieties really helps for pollination. Governor Wood originated in Cleveland, O., in the late 1880's, and is yellow with a pink blush. They are perishable to such an extent that they are rarely seen in commerce, and have to be eaten up or frozen within a few days, but they are quite delicious. I still have my old Governor Wood, just now passing fully bloom, but I nearly drowned it by plant downstream from my duck pond. That's one other thing I have learned about cherries, both sweet and tart, plant on the highest point available, and if you don't have a high point try to make one before you plant.

Best Regards, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

P.S. Deer seem to love young cherry trees, and there are many more deer now than when I began fruit growing in the 70'.

  • [nafex] Growing Sweet Cherries, Don Yellman, 04/28/2013