nafex - [nafex] Mother Earth News seeking info on old apples

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Mother Earth News seeking info on old apples
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:57:19 -0400

I received the following..please contact Jaeah directly

Jaeah Lee <jaeah.j.lee@gmail.com>

My name is Jaeah, I'm a producer and reporter at Mother Jones magazine in
San Francisco. In our March/April issue, Rowan Jacobsen wrote a feature
story profiling John Bunker, the founder of Fedco Trees who we've come to
know as one among a handful of "apple detectives" searching for and working
to revive America's once thriving, now rare—or lost—apple varieties.

My team is currently working on a web version of Rowan's story, and are
exploring ways to showcase rare apples across the country on an interactive
map. While we know John Bunker keeps a detailed track record of each rare
apple he investigates, most of Bunker's apples are located in the Northeast
region of the country. We are interested in which lost or rare apples have
been located throughout the rest of the country.

Rowan suggested that we contact the North American Fruit Explorers, and I'm
writing with hopes that you could help my team as we put together a list of
America's most interesting, least known apple varieties, and gather as much
information about them as possible, such as:
Where the variety can be found, where it originated, and/or where it were
last seen;
A brief description detailing what's interesting about the apple;
A story about how the apple was re-discovered or preserved;
How many of this apple variety are currently in existence; and
Any other details you think are relevant.
I look forward to hearing back from NAFEX about my inquiry. Thank you for
your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Jaeah