nafex - Re: [nafex] when to graft apples?

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] when to graft apples?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 02:03:36 GMT

Ginda,
Since you'll be cutting your scionwood and grafting on the same day,
obviously you'll need to do it when the apples are still completely dormant.
If you are willing to store some wood, I'd possibly recommend doing a bark
graft after the seedling starts into growth. That might be a good back-up
plan; store some wood in your fridge (coldest part) and then make your best
guess as to the moment before everything starts growing, and do the whip and
tongue that you are planning on then (this may be soon). If you miss, you
will still have some dormant wood to work with and you won't have lost the
year. 'Cause once the scions start into growth your chances of a successful
graft go way down. Good luck with it--and be persistent. Muffy
BarrettSouthern WisconsinWhere we still have 6 to 8 inches of snow, but some
sap is moving in trees. riginal Message ----------

When would you recommend I try? I will obviously cut a branch and immediately
graft it.

Traditionally, apples are grafted mid-april around here (I've heard Patriot's
Day, which will be April 15 this year, recommended.) But spring keeps coming
earlier, so I'd like vegetative signs. The forsythia buds are already
swelling a bit, and I can see some green under the scales of the lilac buds,
and the raspberries are thinking of sprouting. Apples are still completely
dormant, as are oaks. And the Apricot, which is usually very early, looks
dormant. On the other extreme, the Cornus Mas looks like one warm day will
bring it into bloom. The flower buds are large and about to crack.

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6
message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites:
http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
Make a donation toward list maintenance
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=lfljvenaura%40gmail%2ecom&lc=US¤cy_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted
Avant Geared http://www.avantgeared.com
OVERSTOCK ipads: $30.93
Get 32GB Apple iPad for as low as $30.93. Limit 1.Day. Grab yours Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5141304940ad430494661st02duc