nafex - [nafex] Grafting Knife Recommendation

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Grafting Knife Recommendation
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:19:31 -0500

This spring I plan to try my hand at grafting some hickory and walnut
seedlings. My cheap-o fluorescent orange "grafting" knife works reasonably
well after sharpening for a few apple grafts each spring, but I'm thinking
I should upgrade to "the real thing" before attempting nut trees.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good brand/model? I've been
impressed by every victorinox knife I've used, but thought I'd put it out
to this group before diving in on a purchase.

Incidentally, I plan on modifying John Brittain's bench grafting method to
suit my needs, including an idea I have for building a custom (small-scale)
graft heater to callous the grafts under heat for two weeks before moving
outside.

Thanks all -

Pete Chrisbacher
6b/7a southeastern PA