nafex - Re: [nafex] durian, "King of the fruits"

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] durian, "King of the fruits"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:12:18 +0530

I have been reading this discussion with interest. I have visited South East Asian countries many times and have eaten durians on every visit. I think taste is not an "absolute" term but a relative term. We do not like to eat bitter things. But still we drink beer which is not sweet. In India, bitter gourd is a favourite vegetable and is eaten in many ways. Same is the case with durian. Some like it and some find it repulsive. I cannot stand the site of people eating frogs in China or even in the US in Chinese restaurants. If any Hindu swallows beef without knowing it and then told later that the nice food he ate was beef, he might vomit (Jerry, excuse me. I am a cosmopolitan Hindu and therefore above these things). Now durians are available in Indian supermarkets too and these are priced exorbitantly high, very much more the basest mango varieties. Millions in the world eat avocados too which are absolutely tasteless and therefore in strict terms should be categorized even as a "fruit". So it is a matter of getting used since beginning.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001
INDIA