nafex - Re: [nafex] Shade-tolerance in these fruit crops?

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Shade-tolerance in these fruit crops?
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:51:50 -0500

Robert Nitschke reported in his Southmeadow Fruit Gardens catalogue of 1968
that he grew English Morello cherries against a north wall at Detroit and that the cherries "were of a size and flavour unobtainable in full sun."

I see that in a local forested city park here in the Niagara Peninsula, seedling sour cherries (probably
from Montmorency seed as that is the only one grown commercially here) grow readily in semishade and fruit sparsely.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada