nafex - Re: [nafex] WILD GOOSE plum, Hector Black, et al.; nafex Digest, Vol 119, Issue 1

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] WILD GOOSE plum, Hector Black, et al.; nafex Digest, Vol 119, Issue 1
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 13:12:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi Hector,

That sounds great! I'd definitely appreciate some scion-wood, if you
wouldn't mind sending me some in the spring. I just want to make sure it's
the proper cultivar 'Wild Goose' and not the species also called wild-goose.
Prunus munsoniana goes under a number of species common names (wild-goose
plum, Munson's plum, etc.). Three old varieties of P. munsoniana are 'Late
Goose' (available through ARS), 'Improved Wild Goose' (probably lost to
history), and 'Wild Goose' which is hopefully the one you have. Would you
mind asking the person who gave you the plum from Florida if its variety name
is 'Wild Goose' in addition to the species. So, we're talking 'Wild Goose'
variety of wild-goose plum. I have no idea why they thought it a good idea
to label the cultivar by the species name. That would be as confusing then,
say, labeling a cultivated variety of wild rice as also 'Wild Rice'.

Do you have other plums which pollinate your "Wild Goose" plum. Because one
characteristic of P. munsoniana is that it is not self-fertile and if your
plum fruits without a pollinator, then it is likely a hydrid between P.
munsoniana (wild goose) and another species of plum that, unlike P.
musoniana, bears perfect-flowers.

If you don't communicate any long with the person who gave you the plum but
know his name, I'd gladly look him up and see if I might be able to get in
contact with him.

Thank you very much!
Steve NJ

Message: 2