nafex - Re: [nafex] Charles argument- advantage of seedling nut trees

  • From: "Charles Rhora" <rhoras@nuttrees.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Charles argument- advantage of seedling nut trees
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:57:15 -0500

Jerry,

Good question!

I know that in some instances (small percentage) it may have been caused by
the rootstock not being winter hardy, in other cases the rootstock was not
affected.
>From my notes (this test winter was approximately 15 years ago, in saying
this though, who knows when the next test winter will come?)
It was for this reason that I have not planted another grafted tree since.
As a member of NNGA for a long time (more than 40 years) I always follow the
write ups and papers presented to glean more knowledge from others
prospective. In other words, I am aware of the problem as presented for
chestnuts.
I also have the three distinct varieties of chestnuts (American, Chinese, &
Japanese) and as mentioned have found they are more easily propagated by
selecting the 1/ disease resistance 2/ larger size nut 3/ taste for seed
planting for selections.

Charles.