nafex - Re: [nafex] Fwd: Johny A.

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fwd: Johny A.
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:34:30 -0500

On 11/11/2012 3:46 PM, Douglas Hinds wrote:

That isn't to take away from Johnny. He was an apple authority and went
around the country helping folks and propagated popular varieties by grafting.
Actually, according to Pollan's book, Johny thought grafting was devil's
work and that God wanted trees to grow just as they were from seed.
God and Johnny aren't the only ones. Count me in on that two.

How important is it to me? I left the USA due to the relative dearth of
fruit from seedling trees there in 1974 and I still don't eat fruit from
trees that _aren't_ on their own roots. In fact, fruit from seedling
trees is the principle staple food of my diet and at 70, I have not yet
begun to go downhill.

An article explaining the reasons why was published in the *1973
California Rare Fruit Growers Yearbook* (the year before I left). Steve
Diver asked for for a copy and I e-mailed it to him about 12 years ago.
(If Steve is on nafex I'd appreciate being sent a copy, since I don't
have it on hand at this time. And if not, Lawrence - I assume you have
his current contact data, and I hope you can do me the favor of sending
this on to him).

I will forward this to him. Here is his contact info from the sanet list:

Steve Diver
steved@IPA.NET
http://www.agri-synergy.com

Grafting is unnecessary and creates more problems than it solves.
Logically, those subscribing to organic, biological, alternative,
sustainable and ecological (as well as permaculture and biodynamic)
agriculture would recognize the importance of respecting and maintaining
the integrity of the individual organism as a fundamental and
unalterable principle, yet no movement (that I'm aware of) has taken up
the cause and I think I (along with other sympathetic individuals and
groups) need to do something about that. (It's on the agenda we've
established with CUCBA, our local Agricultural, Biological,
Environmental and Animal Sciences Faculty) <www.cucba.udg.mx> and as
time and funding permit, we will be moving ahead with it.

That's all for now, but I can elaborate further if this post generates
any interest to that effect.

Douglas Hinds,