nafex - Re: [nafex] electric fence for squirrels

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs913@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] electric fence for squirrels
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 09:29:36 -0500

We've used electric mesh fence for years. It has pros and cons.

Pros- when PROPERLY installed and maintained, it is effective against the
larger fruit thieves.

Cons- If the power is off, the critters chew through it. You have to mow
often (and move the fence every time) to keep good conductivity. The mesh
MUST be taught and level with the ground or critters go under it. If you
have hills or dips, good luck on that one. It is a bit challenging to
handle...you've got to have some strength and patience to work with it.
It's not cheap and the chargers are not cheap. Solar is nice, but the
chargers don't last forever. They can be a hazard to pets -- I've had
dogs get entangled in it and get repeated shocks (this was one of my dumber
dogs). Not all that great against rats who slip through without touching
the hot wires.