nafex - Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 117, Issue 11

  • From: Mike Higgs <trenthillsca@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 117, Issue 11
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 13:38:47 -0400

Sarah,

I'd imagine that "acceptable" has a lot of wiggle room depending on one's
palate. On balance, I'd expect them to be tart-sweet rather than
sweet-tart. Eating them late in the season might shift the balance to
sweet-tart.

Here's some apparently early thoughts from Bob Bors and Rick Sawatzky on
Dwarf Sour Cherries for the Prairies -
www.fruit.usask.ca/articles/cherries.pdf

Regards,
Mike

PS. Check your email re: exchanging budwood. I'm in Canada.

On 13 October 2012 12:00, <skkewing@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been waiting for Dr. Bob Bors to weigh in on this topic because,
clearly, he is the expert on Crimson Passion! But since he hasn't, I'm
going to copy paste his comments regarding this question from some time ago.

> "Because Carmine jewel is a hybrid between an improved Mongolian (lousy
> flavour and a bush) and a sour cherry tree variety (Northstar, good flavor
> but a small tree) you are likely to get wide variation in the seedlings.
> You could get all sort of combinations due to recombination of genes.
Based
> on our own selfed seedlings I'd guess that 75% will be of acceptable fruit
> quality but there can be wide differences in plant size and productivity."
> ?
> Sarah

  • Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 117, Issue 11, Mike Higgs, 10/14/2012