nafex - Re: [nafex] Preserving pawpaws

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Preserving pawpaws
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:02:32 -0400

Alexis,
We've dried pawpaws, but been unhappy with the results and the sugars
carmelized and the flavor components (volatile esters) evaporated.

We also freeze a lot as pulp, sometimes in ice cube trays for easy later
use, which depends on freezer space. Can you rent any or trade for some?

As for canning, no need to add sugar if you have access to a pressure
canner; you can check your community cannery as an option. Should be
similar to canning pumpkin. We can all our applesauce without added sugar,
and it keeps for years. But that's in a boiling water bath, and apples are
much more acid than pawpaws. You could add lemon juice to pawpaws and
boiling water bath. For fig butter, we add one tablespoon lemon juice for
pints and two for quarts; could start with that amount for pawpaw. Can
also use food-grade citric acid to lower pawpaw pH. The Ag extension
office in our county has a full-time staffer who teaches canning fruits and
veggies, so knows about local infrastructure for canning. You may have
such in your county or nearby.

Richard Moyer
SW VA Where the Tennessee squirrels at our other place lacked manners and
smarts. They ate ALL the peaches when green. Left bagged apples alone for
years. But our HS and College graduation rates are much lower here than
with Ginda in Mass.