nafex - Re: [nafex] galvanized nails

  • From: "Bob Kelly" <bkelly66@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] galvanized nails
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:07:41 -0500

Monica,

Galvanized nails are iron coated with zinc metal. Zinc is a nontoxiic mineral which is among the dietary supplements I take regularly. I suppose the acidic tree sap will dissolve some of the Zn as well as the Fe (iron) from the nails. This will be available to help nourish the tree. I see no possibility of possible toxicity. Actually, zinc mineral is often added to pecan trees.

Bob Kelly (Retired Chemist)
Aberdeen, MS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Maggio" <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>