nafex - Re: [nafex] Codling Moth Larva pictures

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>, NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Codling Moth Larva pictures
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:47:27 -0300

You are correct that the timing is more consistent with coddler. (We have
not yet got any
coddling moth here in Zone 5a, but will in another few weeks). But to
distinguish EAS from
coddling moth you really need to count their legs - other than the EAS having
two more sets
of legs the two larvae look essentially identical. (The EAS is
yellowish-white, and the coddler
is pinkish-white, but without a comparison this is subtle.) The frass from
the EAS is
malodorous and from the coddler odorless - the problem here is that I, (and I
suspect, many
other males), cannot smell the EAS frass in the first place. (Get a woman to
sniff it if need
be.) (Totally off-topic, but did you know that a woman can pick out her baby
by smell alone
within 24 hours of birth?)

> I was still finding apples with European Sawfly larva inside until
> recently. Today I thought I found one more really late one. The hole
> with frass was right in the end opposite from the stem. That seemed
> more like Codling Moth damage. I took some pictures:
<SNIP>
> For a few minutes, I was starting to believe my pictures matched the
> Sawfly larva but after looking at more pictures, mine was, in fact, a
> Codling Moth as I would expect this time of year. We get very few
> Codling Moths and I don't spray for them. However, I usually do a
> couple of Sevin sprays for apple maggots and that probably gets the
> Codling Moths too. I put out my red sticky spheres toward the end of
> June and so far I haven't trapped a single maggot fly! That's just odd
> since I usually catch dozens. I'm probably not going to spray again
> this year unless a bunch of maggot flies suddenly show up.
>
> Steve in the Adirondacks

  • Re: [nafex] Codling Moth Larva pictures, david . maxwell, 07/08/2012