nafex - [nafex] thinning peaches

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] thinning peaches
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:19:10 -0500

Interesting that my Red Havens have always been thinned the same as my
Madisons but my Red Havens get larger and quite large by commercial
standards. When I suggested 4- 5" spacing it was intended as the very
closest to consider growing peaches but a real good spacing, if not even
closer, for first go-out in a low spray home orchard. It always takes me
more than one go round to get things thinned right in any case and I figure
when peaches are small they aren't soaking up so much energy anyway. Then
you can finish up the job after the bugs have done their catfacing and
leave the cleanest fruit.

Of course not all regions are going to have problems with tarnished plant
and stink bugs.