nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple pest (part 2)

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple pest (part 2)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:21:42 -0400

A week later, I'm still fighting these things... European Apple sawfly. By fighting, I mean searching for infested apples, plucking them and dropping them into a bucket of water.
Finally today I feel that it is about over. I still found a couple dozen damaged apples but that's far less than a couple of days ago. A couple of days after I searched the trees the first time, I searched all over again and found more damaged apples (hundreds) than the first time.
I still have apples left. A few branches that should be able to hold dozens of apples have only a few left. A few branches have so many left that I will thin them a bit more. Most branches on my 4 trees are thinned just about right. I have been thinning out deformed apples and reducing clusters to one or two in the few places where that many apples remain.