nafex - [nafex] How do I root pomegranate cuttings?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] How do I root pomegranate cuttings?
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 23:47:12 -0400 (EDT)

I have a stick (8") of pomegranate. I mixed loam soil, vermiculite, and peat
moss in a consistantly-watered garden bed, after dipping the stick in rooting
hormone, planting the stick half its lengths in the soil substrate.
I did not, so far, cover the stick, use parafilm, or anything - and it has
not budded or put out roots: I took the stick out today and, because moist,
the burried portion is a faded shade of green (and it's alive, for sure -
scratch test, etc.).
Do I need to cover it with a jar or parafilm, and cover from the sun - or put
this up and bring it inside to cover with a jar?
My gooseberry and figs cuttings seem to be doing ok this way.
Maybe my serviceberry cuttings aren't rooting either.
Thanks,
Steve; NJ