nafex - Re: [nafex] Mayhaw emerges from US swamps as cultivated fruit delicacy (Rueters)

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mayhaw emerges from US swamps as cultivated fruit delicacy (Rueters)
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 16:01:02 -0500

Matt,
I've not really paid that much attention to when the native cockspur
hawthorn(C.crus-galli) ripens fruit here - it's small and not worth picking
to eat or jelly, so far as I can tell. Have a number of them growing around
the farm, and while I notice them in bloom, I can't say that I've ever
noticed them in fruit.
Seems that, to the best of my recollection, the ornamental hawthorns,
planted around town, are much later-fruiting.

Years ago, while repairing fence on a nearby farm(just across the hollow),
so that the elderly gentleman's cows would 'stay home' instead of eating my
pasture, I noticed that he had a very healthy population of hawthorns,
including a number of thornless specimens, growing throughout his
'pastures'.

Lucky