nafex - Re: [nafex] 'Black Pearl Thornless' blackberry source?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] 'Black Pearl Thornless' blackberry source?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:27:16 -0400

Melissa, Black Pearl is not hardy for you. I tried growing it several years
and it died back every year. I am in zone 7 so your odds will be worse than
mine.

I am trying a dozen or so different trailing blackberries now and several
appear to be hardy for me, but the final verdict is not in yet (last winter
it only got down to about 10F, putting me in zone 8!). If you want a couple
plants to experiment with email me late fall and I can dig up and mail them
to you. You also may want to try Black Diamond, it didn't die back at all
for me yet. One Green World is selling it now. Don't look at the zones in
the catalogs for these blackberries, they are almost always wrong.

Scott