nafex - [nafex] grape problem

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] grape problem
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:47:08 -0500

We pruned our grapes early march - all looked healthy prior to pruning. All of our vines are young - in their 2nd and 3rd years. A few weeks later, following 2-3 weeks of record warmth, barely any rain, we noticed an issue on our 3rd year Swenson Red grapes, but none of the other varieties. Our pruning cuts all appear darkened or black and are oozing a watery (non viscous) liquid - maybe water?? I can't identify this problem in any of the guides I have - anyone have any knowledge of a similar condition? If so, are there any mitigation techniques? We were spraying copper on a few things in the orchard, so we did hit these grapes with the copper spray also last weekend.

Thanks,
Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisc