nafex - [nafex] Apricot pruning question

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Apricot pruning question
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:26:33 -0500

I have a Westcot apricot on kyrmsk1 rootstock which I planted last year. It must have had some winter damage when I got it since the top half of the whip didn't get any growth. I had two branches grow out last year from about 14" above the ground where one is longer and goes straight up, the other is shorter and comes out at about a 45 degree angle. My question is whether I should leave both branches and have the tree branch at that level or should I cut that lower branch off and try for branching at a higher level? The longer upright branch is just an inch or two shy of 4 feet above the ground. Also, should I cut the main leader at all, or just let it grow from there?

Incidentally, yesterday the temperature here in the twin cities in Minnesota got to 80 degrees officially, an all-time record, and within a degree of the temperature of Dallas and Miami. The buds on the Westcot are red on the end and green below, about the size of a large peppercorn. The Hargrand on K1, Harlayne, Debbie's Gold, Morden 604, all on Manchurian apricot rootstock along with a straight Manchurian show just a hint of bud break. I'm sure there was no winter damage because of the mild winter, but because of the early spring there may still be some freezing weather. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Dan

  • [nafex] Apricot pruning question, Dan Nave, 03/18/2012