nafex - Re: [nafex] Recommendation for hardy kiwi

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Recommendation for hardy kiwi
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:48:03 -0500

Steve,
At my Zone 6 location in SW VA, 'Anna' was far superior to 'Ken's Red'.
Much more vigorous and therefore productive. Much easier to get going
when young. Much less affected by late freezes. 'Anna' fruit keeps very
well under refrig, whereas 'Ken's' rotted sometimes on the vine at stem
attachment, and also under refrigeration. Ken's much more stressed by
drought; this was noted by other NAFEXers as well. We much preferred the
flavor of 'Anna', a nice mix of sweet and tart with other flavors. All
'Ken's' had going for it was red blush and reddish flesh, but flavor very
bland. I can't think of a single area where 'Ken's' was better.

There may be locations where 'Ken's' is superior, but in our
mid-Atlantic/upper south zone 6, definitely not the case.
Can't comment on DO, for have not grown it.
Mike McConkey has been growing all these and more for years in VA closer to
you, and sells them for a living. I'd ask him if not already.

As for a male, all you need there is reliable blooming at same time as your
females.

Chad Finn, USDA-ARS researcher put in a plot of hardy kiwis at the USDA
Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, OR. He collected data on a number of
selections. But Willamette Valley weather quite different than ours. They
may have compared some males, and might send your cuttings for your own
rooting and use.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6
SW VA