nafex - Re: [nafex] Aronia question

  • From: "Hansen,Richard Dean" <rdhans01@louisville.edu>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Aronia question
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 18:31:35 +0000

Thanks Miekal, that was really informative. I know here at the University of
Louisville they are doing quite a bit of research on Anthocyanins and
Polyphenols. I did go to a seminar that Dr. Gupta presented, and although all
the colored fruits had these compounds, only blueberries had several types of
them, which was key in preventing the growth of cancer cells. It is the
variety of different types of Anthocyanins and Polyphenols that was most
crucial in preventing/treating cancer in mice. I do not know if he has
included Aronia in his research. I was not able to find the webpage
outlining the specific research. I would guess that Aronia also has a variety
of Anthocyanins and Polyphenols similar to blueberries.

Here is some of his research:
http://php.louisville.edu/advancement/pub/impact/spring2005/applefull.php

I have purchased Aronia syrup, juice and jelly and found them all to taste
really good. I would guess it is a processing issue perhaps that determines
the taste.

Richard Hansen
Zone 6a