nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Manchurian apricot; nafex Digest, Vol 108, Issue 5

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, nave1@comcast.net
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Manchurian apricot; nafex Digest, Vol 108, Issue 5
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 03:27:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dan,

I can definitely get another standard type apricot (P. armeniaca instead of
P. manshurica), but I'm into uncommon stuff which sometimes ends up being
better in one or two aspects then the common stuff, which is better in many
aspects - but not in those one or two that the uncommon one is good for. For
instance, I love Ficus johannis spp. afghanistanica (Afghan fig - not the
cultivar of common fig 'Afghan'), and in some ways I prefer it to a standard
F. carica once in a while. I grow wild strawberries, A. stolonifera
juneberry, Viburnum lentago, wild fruits of all sorts. So, if Manchurian
apricot has something special to offer not found in a standard species
apricot, then I might as well add it. Also, do you feel somewhat confident
that 'Jerseycot' is a self-fertile variety of common apricot?

Thanks,
Steve

Message: 3