nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] Creating microclimate: fruit trees next too house - and roots/foundation.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] Creating microclimate: fruit trees next too house - and roots/foundation.
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 18:59:16 -0500 (EST)

Group:
My house is in New Jersey - the prevailing winds come from the northwest.
I. Kaki persimmons
I'm considering planting Asian persimmons (on D. virginiana rootstocks) on
the north side of my less-than one-story house (which just a little bit
further north, is another house - so the north side is really just the south
side of my neighbor's property just north of my house.The tree's will be
planted (no choice on the distance) about 8 feet from my house and about 10
feet south of my neighbor's house. I read that even though you get some
winter protection, the winds run around the sides of the house, so maybe this
makes it worst for marginally hardy trees? I also read that bark-cracking
can happen on the south side of the property/home in winter when directly
exposed to sun.Will roots be a risk to the foundation of the house - this is
not an Oak tree, etc.
Also, because of the winds rushing faster around the house, am I better-off
just planting these trees on the east side of the house? If I do that, they
would be planted between 15 and 25 feet away from my house.
Lastly,
II. Pomegranate, Fig, etc.
Will partially hardy fruit trees (like fig and 'Kazake' cv. pomegranate) be
less likely to have their roots die, in the event that the winter is cold
enough to kill the plant to the root crown, if they are planted just a few
feet away from a house? I bet that the ground surrounding the house (where
the basement is heated, especially) is going to be a bit warmer than the
ground would, otherwise, typically be.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a

  • [nafex ibiblio list] Creating microclimate: fruit trees next too house - and roots/foundation., Steven Covacci, 01/05/2012