nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs: risk for fire-bligh in pear & questions re: suckering

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Nitrogen-fixing shrubs: risk for fire-bligh in pear & questions re: suckering
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:24:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

There is little likelihood that proximity to nitrogen-fixing shrubs will
increase fireblight susceptibility or decrease winter-hardiness. Nitrogen
fixed by the bacterial/shrub partnership is mostly used by the host plant
(until it dies and breaks down). Even then, the nitrogen is released slowly-
not at all like synthetic fertilizers.

If you were planting in a plot that followed plowed-under annual legumes, you
might have something to worry about, but I doubt that you'll have any
increased problems from partnering with N-fixing shrubs.

Anton