nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sour cherry cultivars for zone 6b/7a

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sour cherry cultivars for zone 6b/7a
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:07:31 +0000

Jay, you might also consider Surefire, which blooms at least a week later
than Montmorency and is available from a number of U.S. nurseries. It was
developed by the N.Y. Agricultural Experiment Station and a tree I planted in
Hays, Kansas (USDA Zone 5), for my mother has done quite well. I think it
would do even better if I were to scalp the sod for about a foot or two
around the trunk. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4)