nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Multi-Graft Pruning Strategy

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Multi-Graft Pruning Strategy
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 15:54:36 -0800

I'm interested in hearing what others say. I like to shape to an open
center. I feel I get great production and I like how the trees look,
particularly in blossom. It may not be the most space-saving, but
multi-grafting would make up for that, wouldn't it? It wasn't necessarily
thought out - more habit. I had grown many plums and almonds before growing
other trees, and they were fond of open center.I continued my habit through
the years.

How would that work for grapes or kiwis? I read a study once that found best
grape productivity when one pruned off every third bunch, with about no
other pruning. Vineyards prune in a way that encourages productivity and
easy access, and I can't argue with their results. My most productive grapes
were not pruned at all in any way, which made them rambly and not easy to
harvest. I still got more as a homeowner-handpicker than I did from pruned
vines, even leaving hundreds of pounds for the birds. But then, on all
things grape, I would defer to Lon.

~ Stephen