nafex - [NAFEX] American Persimmon seed coats

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American Persimmon seed coats
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:58:47 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/29/2011 10:46:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au writes:

> So I soaked them and then left the to germinate in the bag.
> Got almost 100% germination and I've now planted them in a soil that's
> obviously to friable.
> I'll keep them in really high humidity and see if I can't soften the seed
> coats a little that way.
> Obviously not keeping them a wet as I should

Hi Karl,

Now I'm confused. You write they germinated but now you want to soften the
seed coats. What is your definition of germination? Did you get root tips
showing or did they develop short black roots? If root developed you don't
need the seed coats to split, as your previous e/m asked about.

Also my luck with planting seeds after they developed roots in the storage
bag has been miserably poor. Those tender roots don't like exposure to air.

Jerry