nafex - [NAFEX] New York's grape quarentine.

  • From: mike engle <speigletown@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New York's grape quarentine.
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:16:16 -0500

I am trying to get some dormant cuttings(Pocklington and Poughkeepsie) from
NCGR Davis in California. I am located in New York State, so the people at
NCGR Davis told me that I need some type of certificate/letter from New York
State as they said their plants are not virus free at NCGR Davis. So I
called the number @ NY State's Dept of Ag/Markets that NCGR Davis gave me,
and the guy on the phone did not understand what I needed. He told me that
the sender needed a letter guaranteeing it was virus free.

A few questions I'm hoping someone can answer or lead me in the right
direction.

1) Has anyone dealt with the quarantine in New York state and can give me the
right wording/questions/directions to ask the people at the NY State Dept of
Ag, to get the ball rolling.

2) Do all out of New York state nurseries have to deal with these
regulations when sending cuttings or vines to New York customers? ie, I got
some vines from Northeastern Vine Supply in Vermont, and I read an article
where he goes to the midwest and gets dormant cuttings. Does he have to
guarantee his New York customers a virus free plant? Does someone like Lon
Rombough who sells cuttings have to satisfy New York state?

2a) Based on the answer to 2, Would a backup plan be for me to get the
cuttings sent to a registered nursery and then they send them to me? (Maye
with a fumigation in between???? Or they grow them for a year?)

Mike Engle
Troy, NY Zone 5

I can't imagine the hassle trying to get the To-Kalon grape, which is being
held in http://www.montpellier.inra.fr/vassal
It was bred in Lansingburgh, which is now a part of Troy.