nafex - [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] potting up pawpaws
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 07:20:06 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/5/2011 2:19:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kodama@riseup.net writes:

> I recently received some grafted Paw-Paw's in the mail and was hoping
> they'd be large enough to transplant straight to a sunny spot in the field,
> but they're not ready for prime time yet. So I'm looking for suggestions
> regarding potting up paw paws to grow out until large enough to set into a
> permanent location. I understand paw paws are difficult to transplant, and
> I've
> already failed once before in potting up paw-paws and having them live,
> though that was more due to my neglect than anything with the transplant.

Hello Evan,

You didn't say if they arrived bare root or potted. Size? Grafted or
seedling? Where are you located, midwest or Arizona?

Generally I agree with another writer, plant them now where you want them
permanently. Be sure to mulch heavily if in an area where temps drop lower
than 20 F this winter. Do not expose the roots to a hard freeze either in
pots
or in the ground. Generally they don't need shading after the first year
from seed. But if they are bear root 1 year seedlings, providing shade the
first year such as with a tree tube would be a good safety measure.

I've planted many bare root two year seedlings in the spring without shade
and mulch successfully. They were watered several times. I know of one
planting of 300 one year seedlings w/o shade but heavily mulched and
irrigated
that had only 20% survival.

Jerry