nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Gumosis in prunus?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Gumosis in prunus?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 13:16:28 -0400

I got one really helpful reply off-list. I have removed the name of the
replier, in case he avoided the list for privacy reasons, but wanted to copy
his message in case it helps others. Thanks, anonymous. (And if you don't
want to be anonymous, feel free to chime in.)

I scraped the soil, and while I didn't find any tunnels, I found a white
larva in a shallow groove cut into the tree. I killed it, and poked around,
removing all the gum and poking a wire into anything loose, including one
extremely short "tunnel" that was full of gum. (I removed that gum, too.) I
have left it exposed, and will keep an eye on it for the next couple of
weeks.

I have a friend with a horseradish plant who would, I'm sure, be happy to
give me some pieces. But he warns me against it, saying it is weedy and large
and ugly and impossible to remove once planted. I'm curious what others
think. The tree is in a very visible spot, sort of the center of my back yard.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6

Begin forwarded message: