nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 20:28:33 +0000

As one of my biology profs told the class, yeasts are present all around us.
They proliferate on many fruit surfaces. That is principally what you see as
a whitish dusty coating on plums, cranberries, blueberries, elderberries and
grapes, to name but a few. Some apples have more than others - so that it
influences their names, such as Blue Pearmain. To the serious brewer,
utilizing wild yeasts lends a level of risk into the mix, as we don't know
what strain of yeast may dominate. If one wishes a particular result in the
profile of the finished beverage, one opts for a specific commercially
available yeast strain, or keeps a yeast at home alive.Dave Liezen