nafex - [NAFEX] Help Save Landreth Seeds

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Help Save Landreth Seeds
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 09:25:09 -0700

Their fruit is pretty much limited to melons and technical fruits such as
tomatoes, but D. Landreth Seeds carries some great heirloom varieties and
has a history spanning back to 1784. I just heard they're in trouble due to
a paperwork error and an inflexible bank. They have to raise 1 million ASAP.
Some of their seeds are already sold out for the season, but they sell their
very nice catalog and since that can be reprinted, it's currently the focus
of the fundraising. I browse through my Landreth catalog often to read the
reprints from catalogs in their company's history and to see the color
photos of heirloom varieties.

If this were just another US small business we were losing, it would be bad
enough. It would be a deep shame to lose a company dating back nearly to our
country's founding. The news item is here:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/09/help_save_one_of_americas_seed_houses.php

Thanks,

Megan Lynch
http://www.meganlynch.net

South Pasadena, CA Zone 9

  • [NAFEX] Help Save Landreth Seeds, Spidra Webster, 09/03/2011