nafex - [NAFEX] 90-C Persimmons graft-rection (long-term) on 60-C Persimmons?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 90-C Persimmons graft-rection (long-term) on 60-C Persimmons?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:50:24 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

Japanese Persimmon -

A friend of mine has shown me a scenario in which ALL of his Asian persimmons
(D. Kaki; 90-chromosomes) experience the onset of graft-rejection when
grafted upon American persimmon (D. virginiana; 90-c strain) after about 15
years. The only example in his orchard that does not demonstrate decline of
D. kaki on D. virginiana is where a hybrid persimmon (D. kaki x D. virginiana
cv. 'Rosseyanka') has been used as an interstem adjoining the two species.

However, as per a previous NAFEX thread discussion, there have been described
very old, successful examples (Wye Plantation, etc.) of Asian persimmon
surviving long-term on American persimmon, both 90-c and 60-c strains.

American Persimmon -

I know someone who has had American persimmon cultivars that are 90-c (which
most available cultivars are) grafted onto 60-c American persimmon rootstocks
for approximately 30 years without a problem.

Does anyone here have an experience(s) to the contrary: where 90-c cultivars
of American persimmon have shown themselves to either experience
graft-rejection when grafted onto 60-c American persimmon seedlings; or show
a noticeable distinction in the characteristics of the bark between the
understock and grafted variety above, maybe even showing a pronounced
graft-union (such as I've seen when D. kaki fuses to D. virginiana - at least
in the examples I've seen).

Thanks,
Steve - NJ (7a/6b)

  • [NAFEX] 90-C Persimmons graft-rection (long-term) on 60-C Persimmons?, Steven Covacci, 08/10/2011