nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Norland

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Norland
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:19:10 -0400

A 14:21 11.07.26 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>Claude says Norland apples are elongated. I believe him. But I looked
>on Internet and all the pictures (12) of Norland apples show round
>apples. I have another Norland apple tree which has been producing
>round apples for years. Maybe there are several varieties of apples
>called Norland. Maybe some nurseries are careless when they tag
>trees.

OK, I have to agree Google shows many round Norland - but there are some
elongated also. Mine look rather like this one:
http://www.apfga.org/_rsrc/images/gallery/pics/norland_apple.jpg

It wouldn't be the first time 2 different apples are distributed under the
same name. It just requires one person that does a mistake and propagates
this mistake... We have seen this recently also with a discussion on
Flemish Beauty and Parker pears - it seems someone made a mistake a while
ago and now no one is sure anymore to have a true Parker or a true Flemish
Beauty...
Claude

  • [NAFEX] Norland, Ernest Plutko, 07/26/2011
    • Re: [NAFEX] Norland, Claude Jolicoeur, 07/26/2011