nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Will medlars experience long-term graft rejection on native hawthorn or Asian pear roostock?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Will medlars experience long-term graft rejection on native hawthorn or Asian pear roostock?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:28:41 +0000

Steve:

If you've got something already to graft onto, it's at least worth a try,
but I hope someone can give you a definitive answer as to what will work with
medlar.
Looking at the Raintree catalog, I see they offer OHxF333 pear rootstock,
which may be of use to you. It reads:
"This Old Home x Farmingdale cross, Brooks selection, (abbrreviated OHxF)
produces a tree that can be maintained at 15 feet tall. Compatible with all
pear varieties, it can also be used as a dwarfing understock for Asian pears
or medlar but not for quince. It induces early production and is winter hardy
to at least -20 degrees F. It does well on a variety of soils."

I bought two of these this spring in preparation for chip bud grafting, later
this year, from a European pear in a friend's yard. Both root stocks are
doing fine. They were inexpensive, $3.50 each, and would have been cheaper
per piece if I had had need for more of them.
Medlar sounds like an interesting (and ancient, didn't the Ice Man found in
the Tyrol have some?) choice. Good liuck,

Dave Liezen, Spokane WA, z6 where the D'Arcy Spice and Lord Lambourne
benchgrafts planted this spring are at least 7" tall and doing fine.