nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mysteries of fruit set

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mysteries of fruit set
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 07:31:42 -0600

This is a fascinating discussion, and I'd like to add an observation. We
had a rough winter for stone fruit in the Denver area, and I don't know of
anyone whose peach trees bloomed. My Japanese plum trees did bloom, and
those that set fruit only have it in their upper branches starting about 6
feet from the ground. In my case I think this was caused by very subtle
temperature differences in the canopy. During bloom time we had a number of
freezes that probably affected the lower branches more than the upper ones.
It could be that colder air settled down lower in the canopy and/or that the
upper branches were warmed faster by the sun in the morning, lessening the
amount of time they spent at damaging temperatures.

For what it's worth, my Waneta plum fared the best and has a good crop that
needed thinning on the upper branches.

Chris Kennel
Denver, CO (zone 5)