nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Jujubes

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Jujubes
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:18:50 -0700

Hi--

Last year I had very little luck grafting jujube but this year I got 100%,
even with some scions that were 2nd year wood instead of 1st year wood. I
use whip grafts, seal the whole scion & base with Parfilm then tie with
green florist tape over the graft line to make sure they hold tightly. This
year I had rain even into June (which is very very unusual-- usually the
last rain is early April here then none until late October) so the ground
and the air were wet longer than usual and it was slightly cooler. I can see
the San Francisco Bay from my garden so I am cooler than a hot interior
location. I grafted these scions in late January and they started to grow in
March--nights in March not below 38--more in the mid 40s and the days were
50- 65 although a few were around 70 degrees.

I have a Li jujube and grafted Honey Jar and Sugar Cane.

I usually get around 99 % on grafting deciduous fruit (but do not do peaches
and mulberries usually yield a much lower take) and am a flop at budding and
grafting of evergreen fruit. Some evergreen grafts grow for 1-2 years then
die such a Capulin cherries from Mexico and others such as citrus and
loquats (both from buds) and avocados do not take.

El Sobrante, near Berkeley on the West coast, across the bay from San
Francisco.

Idell