nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone tried bark grafting with non-dormant scions?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:25:12 -0400

In the past few weeks I attempted several grafts. I did two non-dormant
apple budwood chip bud grafts, one of which succeeded and now has about 1" of
growth, and the other was a failure. I used a leaf with a fully formed bud
visible at the base and removed the leaf from the chip - basically just like
how a budwood graft is done in late summer only earlier. These were chip
budded onto green this-years shoots. Three non-dormant persimmon buds all
failed. The green budwood I used had been knocked off in a storm and I think
I found it too late. I also pulled the dormant scions out of the fridge and
did three chip buds onto green persimmon shoots and it looks like one is a
take, one I can't tell yet and one is a failure. I also did an apricot wedge
graft of a dormant scion onto a green shoot, and that worked.

Chris, I would recommend that if grafting to a shoot to use a this-years
green shoot, if at all possible, for better success. Also I would consider
trying chip buds, since the stock can keep growing it increases the
likelihood of success. You just bend it over in a few weeks to force the bud.

Scott z7 MD