nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear scab

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear scab
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:09:45 -0400 (EDT)

To continue where I left off, it stopped raining and I went out to check
out the nickel-sized fruit on my Parker trees. Now I know exactly what pear
scab looks like! It seems to have infected most of the fruit already. Oh
well, so much for that idea -- I will have to decide what to do with these
trees right in the middle of my main 24-tree pear orchard.

Comice on one side is supposed to be resistant (although I have little hope
of this ever fruiting), what about scab resistance/susceptibility of
Sauvignac which is next to them -- anyone know? Winter Nelis on the other
side is resistant I think.

Richard
VT 4a/3b

> Pear scab cannot be controlled nearly as easily as apple scab, which I can
> usually keep in check with as few as 2 myclobutanil applications. Myclo is
> not affective against PS and neither is Captan. For pears I use Flint
> although mancozeb is cheaper and also affective but has some of label
> restrictions. It can take me as many as 5 aps to control it. Home growers
> should stay away from susceptible varieties and I think many do by growing
> Bartlett. The Harrow series including Harrow Sweet (my favorite, as of
> today) tend to be resistant as well and are bred for cold winters.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Pear scab, rmelrose, 06/26/2011