nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Protecting Apples

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Protecting Apples
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:56:42 -0400

Hi everyone,

I tried a simple radio tuned to a heavy rock station and it works well to control deers and bears too... I tried it. Remember that wild animals have a better hearing than we do (about 5 times apparently) so there is no need to keep the neighbourhood awake all night in order to discourage wild life from eating apple trees. I live in a very quiet area, so a light sound which is not audible past 100 feet (to my ears) has proven quite sufficient. They tend to stay away.

I also use a movement detector which turns on a radio and a light when there is a movement and it works too, except when the population is large which was the case three years ago. I find that deers are startled at first but soon discover that there are no consequences, and they learn quickly the limit of the detection range and eat everything beyond... However, in the last two years, the population of deers has decreased following two difficult winters and in this case the movement detector seemed to work fine...

This year, we also have a new dog, and I get the impression that the deers problem is suddenly a non issue...

Hélène, zone 3-4, north of Ottawa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>