nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:11:43 -0500

Caren, here in east-central Minnesota, 'Crandall' buffalo currant is fully
hardy and very productive. It ripens here in late July-early August. The
most productive wood is one and two years old. Older shoots tend to become
lax, eventually hitting the ground. For best yields, I find that removing
canes older than 2 years old works best. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.
(USDA Hardiness Zone 4b)