nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blight in Hardy Kiwi?

  • From: "David Jackson" <dave@kiwiberry.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blight in Hardy Kiwi?
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:49:06 -0400

Hi Alexis.

For fourteen years we entertained over 500 Red Princess (Ken's Reds), and literally banked the farm on them. And yes, we did see the same problem you are experiencing that occurred in a single plant. Within three to four years, it spread to the two adjacent vines on either side. We dug out the three vines and replaced them with a second backup vine we now call our passion poppers. We saw no more of the problem.

Red Princess (Ken's Reds) can become an A. arguta management nightmare with sometimes a tri-annual, or more, production swing.

Also as the fruit ripens, especially after a rain, you will find it on the ground as it will drop prematurely.

David just returned from a visit to the University of Gent in Belgium where they call hardy kiwi - Kiwibes. They are experiencing similar problems with the "red" cultivars.

Our advice would be to dig out the vine, and try a less finicky cultivar.

Hope this helps.

Dave & Holly
www.kiwiberry.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <alexis@conev.org>